Case Study: Relocation from Germany to Richmond, London during COVID times
We were referred these VVIP clients and asked to support their relocation to the UK at what was a very tricky time, both domestically and internationally, due to the COVID outbreak. The UK had recently imposed quarantine measures for people travelling to the UK from other countries, meaning our clients had to stay in their temporary accommodation on arrival and isolate for 2 weeks.
How we helped –
- Sourced and negotiated best rates for a new serviced apartment and helped resolve a dispute for the full return of a deposit on a previously booked Airbnb that was not up to standard.
- Assisted with application for National Insurance Number.
- Provided a single point of contact prior to arriving, through to settling in
- Helped narrow down large search area for which to concentrate their search.
- Viewed properties remotely due to quarantine restrictions, including viewing some on their behalf, as well as virtual viewings.
- Secured delightful property in their preferred location.
- Negotiated favourable contract terms with agent/landlord.
- Checked and amended tenancy agreement to better protect clients position.
- Coordinated furniture delivery so it was there when they moved in.
- Attended check-in on client’s behalf. Checked the inventory and produced a detailed check in report to protect their deposit against any unfair deductions at check out.
- Provided a welcome pack and assistance registering with local doctors.
Prior to their arrival we had already established where they would like to live and narrowed down the area for their homesearch. They had relocated many times before but never been to the UK and were unfamiliar with the different locations open to them. They needed access to Heathrow, London and Newbury for work and having initially thought they would like to live in a commuter town, after a long discussion, backed up with area information, they decided South West London would suit them better. Having no children but 2 dogs, the lifestyle and café culture of Richmond suited them perfectly. They also had easy access to London where they could visit museums, galleries and theatres which were big passions of theirs.
The first issue was that they needed to source some temporary accommodation that would accept dogs and had a garden. They found a property on AirBNB and we assisted with the checking of the short-term contract. Unfortunately, the property did not live up to their expectations so we advised on how best to deal with the agent and eventually secured them a reduction in their rent. When they eventually exited the short term accommodation we assisted with a dispute over the return of their deposit and they received a full deposit refund.
On arrival in Richmond they were forced to go into quarantine for 2 weeks which inhibited their ability to view properties. We provided a number of options by way of virtual tours and viewed 2 properties on their behalf, having a real time video call with them during the viewings. Having selected a property we helped them secure it under favourable terms, and arranged with the agent for the check in and key hand over to take place the day before the start date of the tenancy as their furniture was being delivered first thing the following morning.
We also assisted with information on local doctors and the registration process and are assisting with their applications for National Insurance Numbers.
Our clients couldn’t be happier and we were delighted to receive the following email shortly after they had settled in!
“You and your teams have been excellent. This move was one of the smoothest to date – and we both I wanted to thank you for that. Your team has been easy to deal with, professional and helpful throughout. Jenny and Kate are such a pleasure to have on our side. They have gone above and beyond to make sure we are well taken care of and we could not be happier with their service.”
The Relocation Consultancy is an independent relocation company based in the UK, with over 25 years of experience. They offer corporate and private relocation services and have an in-depth knowledge of the challenges involved when relocating employees. For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are relocating during the Covid 19 pandemic Briars are happy to help play our part in delivering support and our HR team provides international mobility services, including work permits and employee tax planning to help smooth the process. To find out more, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.